Friday, July 6, 2007

Wet Blanket

Week One is almost over. This means all of us are now veterans. My big hope is that I can reduce the number of times a day I have to ask Olivia how to do something, if I should do something, or where something is. She has the patience of a saint.

I managed to get attached to some of these kids. It happens. I played Candyland and Sorry in the lodge this week and was thoroughly defeated at both. Well, I have five more weeks to practice my skill at board games.

It has been a great week, but it's really strange how it seems like it's been a month since we started. Someone once made the observation that a day at Trinita is like three normal days, and I often quote that, because it is so true. I wish I could convey how much life happens in between breaking down cardboard boxes and carrying them to the recycling bin out front. You could have three conversations and two trips down the hill to the lodge before getting that cardboard into the bin. Nothing happens directly.

It rained a lot these past few days. We had such poor attendance at one of the nightly gatherings we just sang a bunch of songs instead. We had to have blanket time indoors yesterday, and again today because the ground was too wet to lay a blanket on. The pool was even closed. But we got through it all, and had fun anyway. It is our mission to have fun, and to help others have fun. Our theme this summer is "Be a power for good," but maybe we are also a power for fun. I remember years ago when we were told never to call this place a camp, and it has never comfortably fit into the category of retreat center, some of us began calling it Trinita Fun Center. We can handle wet blankets and parades that have been rained on. Mere rain cannot stop us. Jelitza told Olivia and me the other night, "You are the bosses of Trinita, and the bosses of Trinita never give up!" Wow. I guess after that, we better not cave in just because we ran out of whipped cream.

No comments: