Monday, February 11, 2008

Bad Pie

I am working very hard these past few weeks to handle several new developments which are challenging my ability to maintain a good attitude. You know, the Happy Me vs. Sad Me volleyball match is still in progress. I have had good role models about how to maintain balance and enjoy life, and so I have been practiced certain disciplines more attentively than usual. I am praying regularly, getting exercise, taking a break during the day instead of staying rooted at my desk, and I am trying to get to bed a little earlier than usual. This only takes me so far, however. So I been listening to more music, writing letters, wearing pink, and cooking for fun.

I wanted to make some special pies. I did everything right I knew to do. I got up at 6:00 AM (and I a night person!) instead of making them the night before, which would have rendered them day-old before they could be delivered. I followed cookbook advice and used three varieties of apples instead of one. I used a storebought crust. I used an oven thermometer. I rotated the pies in the oven half-way through the baking process. They came out looking a nice golden brown color. I was relieved and sent 2 of them on to our Motherhouse in Philadelphia. Then I tried the third one.

Horror. I made bad pie! And they were already halfway to Philly, no calling them back! They were runny, the crust was soggy underneath that deceiving golden brown, and the apples were still a little crunchy! I was sorely distressed. My friends are so polite, they ate some and told me "yes, a little runny but tastes fine!" Uh-huh. So I have been reflecting on bad pie.
Those fine fresh apples wasted. Were all those good intentions wasted? All that love? No I guess not. At a minimum, I am determined to try again. Baking keeps me out of trouble. And Happy Me is winning while I am cooking for fun, even if what I am baking turns out to be Bad Pie. It's just pie, after all. I think my mistake with that last batch of pies was that I was trying way too hard.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. I am a former Trinita volunteer from a while back....... Summer of 1991-1993. I only wish that the internet was as popular back then because I have lost touch with many wonderful people.

And Deb, I remember you from your volunteer days. My family used to come up with Sr. Gemma's group from Queens, back in the day when Anita and Bill were living there full time. I have many great memories of the place, both as a camper and a volunteer. I will never forget all the families that I had the chance to meet and get to know, along with all the volunteers. There is a special place in my heart for all of those memories. Glad to see you on-line and keeping the spirit alive!!! .....................I wonder if you remember me? :)

Christine
PS: I am tall with long red hair

Trinita said...

Christine! The photographer! I have an idea you were once a five-year-old girl who used to pretend to be the superhero "Liver Girl!" If you want to get in touch, get our contact info at http://www.msbt.org/contact.htm. I do remember you!

MSBT said...

Nether the apples nor the love was was wasted.
The pie was eaten and though runny was good. All of us enjoyed the pie. Thanks,
One of the pie recepients

Anonymous said...

Hi!! Yes, I'm the photographer, actually in the process of going back to grad school.... Liver Girl is my little sister, Julie. She also volunteered for a few years, still not easy to forget, lol! I will try to contact you via the MSBT website.

Anonymous said...

Deb,

Great to see your posts, Deb. Teresa found this site. I can relate to the bad pie - except mine is blueberry. I've been working on perfecting blueberry pie for years, and over a dozen pies later, I'm STILL working on it. Yes, you have to bake the dickens out of it to get that stubborn bottom cooked. After several soggy bottoms, I'm now baking these things 50% longer than the recipe calls for. Still working on the runny, though.:(

Tommy R.
Trinita '86